Saturday, 31 March 2012

Chilli lime chicken with avocado feta salsa

This chicken dish is really delicious, even for those who aren't keen on plain avocado (me). I found the recipe on Chowstalker which featured a blog called Peace love and low carb  Do go and look over there for some great recipe inspiration. I tinkered with it a little bit because a) I detest artichokes, which were in the original recipe b) that's just what I do, and c) I didn't read the instructions properly!

However for the most part I stayed pretty true to the original ingredients and the whole family really loved it. I cooked the chicken on the barbecue grill, but you can do them under the broiler or in a griddle pan instead. As I said, I didn't read the instructions properly and used the olive oil, garlic and lime juice as part of the rub (more of a marinade), the end results were still great though!

Ingredients (serves 6)
6 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts
Marinade
juice of 1 lime
2-3 tablespoons olive oil or melted coconut oil
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chilli powder ( I used Spanish smoked paprika instead)
2 fresh garlic cloves, crushed  (or 1 tablespoon garlic powder)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground spicy red chili powder or 1/2 fresh red chilli finely chopped
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro/coriander finely chopped
salt and pepper

Combine all the marinade ingredients, put the chicken into a ziploc bag and pour over the marinade. Reseal the bag and let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat the grill, while you are waiting for it to get hot, make the salsa. ( I made more salsa than was needed and used it as a side salad rather than a salsa type dressing)

Ingredients
1 large avocado skinned and roughly chopped
6 large tomatoes roughly chopped
1/4 cup capers
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
1/2 red onion finely chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
juice of a lime
olive oil to drizzle

This is just before I added the avocado
Combine all the ingredients and mix with the lime juice to prevent the avocado browning. Just before serving drizzle with a little olive oil. No salt is needed because the capers are very salty.

When the grill is nice and hot, cook the chicken pieces on both sides until cooked through. Serve with the salsa and a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment