Thursday, 10 January 2013

She slinks back in........

Hey there! It's been a while, and isn't that the understatement of the year? Where did 2012 go? If I'm honest it probably went to my thighs and waistline  :)
2012 was a challenging time for our family. Part of it was very stressful and stupidly, with that stress went my resolve to eat healthily.  Seeing as I do 95% of the cooking, everyone else was forced to eat like mum. I sought solace from our problems in my favorite things, bread, cake, chocolate, wine and candy!  Working out was limited to flexing my typing fingers scouring Pinterest, looking for more cake recipes. I was geting sick on a weekly basis, please don't ask me what my blood pressure is, I'm too scared to check it. Over Christmas and New Year, the couch and I became one, I had no energy to do anything unless you count unwrapping those lovely shiny candies you get in your stocking, and lifting the remote to change the channel to watch the Sound of Music for the 44th time (I'm not kidding!!) By years end I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I knew what needed to be done. This past week has been spent in a carb free, cold turkey, haze. I have had a lot of trouble making coherent sentences and needed to take one or two naps during the day!! 

2013 promises new challenges, some exciting things on the horizon but still the scariness of what is unknown. I believe the only way we can face this is to have a positive attitude and eat well. There is no doubt about it that Devil's food cake tastes amazing, but I don't like what's in a boxed cake mix and I really don't like how I feel when I eat it. One week in, and already I'm craving spicy food and vegetables, the sugar cravings are slowly diminishing and I'm now planning meals again. It's not going to be easy but I do have a new mantra that I found on Pinterest during my slug phase to help me!! 


So I hope you will check back for recipe ideas because I really want to commit to the this and feel as good as I did two years ago. I have plenty of books for inspiration and reference, they should be enough to keep me going for a while. The working out phase will begin as soon as my energy levels rise, that shouldn't be too long now.

1 comment:

  1. You can do it Nichola! I am in the same place...trying to get back into eating healthily hoping that I will get some energy back.

    ReplyDelete