Thursday, 10 January 2013

stir fry


Back to basics here, this is a quick way to get a lot of vegetables in one dish, more vegetables mean you feel fuller but without that heavy, carby, beached whale, bloated feeling. At this time of year when it's grey and dark outside, you need to eat your fill of brightly coloured veggies to get the maximum vitamin and mineral intake. Add a litte chicken, or some beef or shrimps and you've got a balanced meal. You can also up the spice if you like it hot. I just ate a bowl of this with some cilantro cauliflower 'rice' and I feel stuffed, but I know it's a good type of stuffed :)
I used some gluten free tamari instead of soy sauce and just a teaspoon of local unpasteurised honey for the sauce, along with some lime juice. I am aware that honey is a sweetener but 1 teaspoon divided by 6 servings isn't that bad. I don't use it every day so I feel that it is justified. You can omit the honey if you wish and it still tastes fine.



I've read that quite a lot of people prep their veggies for recipes for the week ahead, and store them in the fridge in ziploc bags, thus saving valuable prep time when they get in from work.  If I had the room and a big fridge I'd probably agree, but instead, I buy smaller amounts more often. Definitely pre-slice the vegetables and chicken before you start cooking this, it just makes everything so much easier. I've listed the ingredients I had on hand but you can add or take away pretty much anything. Just slice whatever it is thinly so it all cooks evenly. I'd probably sub the chicken breasts for chicken thighs next time because the dark meat is a bit moister and has more flavour.






Ingredients serves 6

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, thinly sliced ( you can also use beef or shrimps)
1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
I smal onion thinly sliced
3 carrots....yep thinly sliced!
1 zucchini thinly sliced
half a dozen mushrooms sliced
Finely chopped cabbage or chinese leaf
2 chopped tomatoes
3 garlic cloves chopped
1 red chili chopped
2'' piece of ginger grated
1/2 large bunch coriander/cilantro
2 tablespoons tamari
2  tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon honey (optional)
coconut or olive oil (not extra virgin) for frying

Method



Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a wok until it is very hot, add the sliced chicken and stir fry it until it is no longer pink (about 5 minutes) Add all of the chopped vegetables to the pan and continually stir fry them for about 5 or 6 minutes until they are just beginning to soften.


Add the garlic, ginger, chili and the coriander/cilantro, along with the tamari, lime and honey.





Toss for another minute or two until the pan ingredients are piping hot and the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Serve with quick microwave cauliflower rice.







No comments:

Post a Comment